Crimes of Violence Data Dashboard
About this Dashboard
The Crimes of Violence Dashboard is provided in fulfillment of Chapter 141 (S.B. 763), Acts of 2022.
This dashboard provides key characteristics for guidelines-eligible crimes of violence sentenced in Maryland circuit courts in fiscal years 2022 and 2023. A summary of these figures is provided in the MSCCSP’s 2022 and 2023 Annual Report.
The data for this dashboard come from sentencing guidelines worksheets submitted by the State's circuit courts. Data will be updated annually. The dashboard is divided into seven tabs. The first five tabs may be filtered by various variables, including judicial circuit and offense.
- Demographics: This tab includes the number of sentencing events involving crimes of violence, by circuit, and the race, gender, age, prior adult criminal record score, involvement in the criminal justice system at the time of the instant offense, and prior adult probation/parole violations for offenders convicted of crimes of violence.
- Guidelines Compliance: This tab provides the disposition type and sentencing guidelines compliance rates for sentencing events involving crimes of violence.
- Departure Reasons: This tab provides a count of the most cited reasons for departures below and above the sentencing guidelines.
- Mean Sentences (Non-Life Eligible Offenses): This tab provides the number of crimes of violence sentenced in Maryland circuit courts, by offense and circuit. Additionally, this tab provides the mean total and guidelines-applicable sentences for crimes of violence, as well as the mean percent of the total sentence suspended for sentences involving some amount of suspended time. The data on this tab are limited to crimes of violence for which the statutory maximum penalty is not life.
- Mean Sentences (Life-Eligible Offenses): This tab is limited to offenses that carry a statutory maximum penalty of life (i.e., life-eligible offenses). This tab provides the number of life-eligible crimes of violence sentenced in Maryland circuit courts, by offense and circuit. Additionally, this tab provides the type of sentence and the mean total and guidelines-applicable sentences for life-eligible crimes of violence, as well as the mean percent of the total sentence suspended for sentences involving some amount of suspended time.
- Crimes of Violence Index: This tab provides a list of all crimes of violence defined pursuant to Criminal Law Article (CR), § 14-101, their sources, and their statutory maximum penalties, including any mandatory minimum sentences.
- Definitions: This tab provides definitions for terms used throughout the dashboard.
How to Use this Dashboard
This dashboard presents information regarding Maryland sentencing guidelines data for crimes of violence sentenced in Maryland circuit courts, as required by the enactment of Chapter 141 (S.B. 763), Acts of 2022.
**This dashboard defaults to include data from all fiscal years. To limit the data to a select fiscal year, use the Fiscal Year filter on the left-hand side of the dashboard**
Selecting a filter will filter the entire dashboard. This function provides information by the filter selected. You can also select multiple filters for a further breakdown of the data.
Pausing over a data point on a chart may reveal additional breakdowns for that data point. Try moving your cursor over all parts of the visual to find additional information.
Some figures in the dashboard interact with one another, and once clicked on, will cross-filter with other measures. When a data point is selected, its color will be darker, and other data points will appear faded.
Selecting the same section or item twice will clear your selection and return the data to the broader default view.