Sentencing Data Limitations
Sentencing data provided on this site are based exclusively on information extracted from guidelines worksheets submitted to the MSCCSP. As a result, the accuracy and completeness of the data are directly related to the quality of the information entered in each guidelines worksheet.
Sentencing guidelines worksheets are only to be completed for criminal cases originating in a circuit court. The following sentencing matters handled by judges in a circuit court are excluded from guidelines coverage:
- Prayers for jury trial from District Court, UNLESS a pre-sentence investigation (PSI) is ordered;
- Appeals from District Court, UNLESS a PSI is ordered;
- Crimes that carry no possible penalty of incarceration;
- Public local laws and municipal ordinances;
- Sentencing hearings in response to a violation of probation; and
- Criminal nonsupport and criminal contemt
The MSCCSP routinely updates the sentencing guidelines database and check for errors. In the process, corrections have been made to the database and additional worksheets have been located and incorporated which may affect the overall totals reported in previous reports.